Updated
Updated · E! NEWS · Aug 1
Myspace Owners Plan Relaunch 20 Years After Social Network's Debut
Updated
Updated · E! NEWS · Aug 1

Myspace Owners Plan Relaunch 20 Years After Social Network's Debut

3 articles · Updated · E! NEWS · Aug 1

Summary

  • Chris and Tim Vanderhook said they will relaunch Myspace, telling a new documentary they still own the brand and are waiting for the right time to try again.
  • The brothers framed the move as another revival attempt after buying Myspace in 2011 and spending two years on a music-focused redesign that failed to win users back.
  • Chris said the platform had already passed through four management teams before their takeover, while Tim said advertisers canceled contracts and losses mounted as Facebook pulled users and ad dollars away.
  • More than 20 years after launch, Myspace still carries cultural weight from features like Top 8 and music discovery, with Adele among artists who have credited the site with helping launch their careers.

Insights

With a history of massive data loss and steep decline, why are the Vanderhook brothers risking another costly attempt to resurrect Myspace?
Can a relaunched Myspace truly revive the organic, algorithm-free music discovery of the 2000s, or is it just a hopeless nostalgia trap?
After losing millions and failing a previous redesign, what secret strategy do Myspace's owners have to finally defeat modern algorithm-driven social media?